Did You Know?

Non-essential IC information considered canon to the game.
Forum rules This forum and its subforums are a compilation of all the IC information that is considered canon to this game, compiled with assistance from credited players.

You are not expected to read everything in this forum. You should read topics with titles that seem pertinent to you and your characters.

If you would like to submit additional information to this forum in order to canonize it, contact a staff member.

Did You Know?

Postby Admiralty » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:33 pm

These are a collection of useful facts pulled from Memories Alpha and Beta.

Anyone can submit to this, but you need to reply in the format the other posts use, with a citation.
DO NOT PM THIS ACCOUNT

For Questions or Concerns, Contact:
Elijah ✦✦ Octopus
Admiralty
OOC Admin

Re: Did You Know?

Postby Elijah » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:11 pm

Did you know...

...that Orions actually feature a number of subraces, including Green Orions, Ruddy Orions, and Grey Orions. Green Orions are the most common and the healthiest of each of these, while the other subraces have varying health problems. Orions are extremely racist and intermixing between the subraces is taboo, to the extent that the children of mixed-race parents are killed on sight (source).
Player Organizer - Get a Plot - Level Sheet
---
Add me on Skype: enterprijah
Elijah
OOC Admin - Level 4

Postby Elijah » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:06 am

Did you know...

...the United Federation of Planets was founded on August 12th, 2161 by United Earth, the Confederacy of Vulcan, the Andorian Empire, the United Planets of Tellar, and Alpha Centauri. Its capital is Paris, Earth in the Palais de la Concorde; its currency is the Federation credit; and its population is over nine trillion sentient lifeforms, making it one of the largest states in the galaxy (source).
---
Elijah
OOC Admin - Level 4

Postby Elijah » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:48 am

Did you know...

...that Zefram Cochrane invented the warp drive in 2061 and two years later became the first human to travel faster than the speed of light. This caught the attention of a passing Vulcan ship, which initiated first contact with Earth and issued in a new era for mankind. Starfleet's common catchphrases such as exploring "strange new worlds," seeking out "new life and new civilizations," and boldly going "where no man has gone before" all came from the speech Cochrane gave at a dedication ceremony for the Warp Five Complex. He is one of the most famous and well-known names in human history (source).
---
Elijah
OOC Admin - Level 4

Postby Elijah » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:12 am

Did you know...

...that hyposprays use compressed air, not needles, to inject liquids into the body. This allows them to be used on multiple patients without the risk of spreading blood-borne illnesses. A standard hypospray ampule holds ten doses of its drug. Although the typical injection site is at the base of the neck above the carotid artery, hyposprays can be used anywhere, even through clothing (source).
---
Elijah
OOC Admin - Level 4

Postby Elijah » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:51 am

Did you know...

...that although holodecks do not yet exist, holotechnology does. Holoframes are picture frames containing holographic pictures (or "holopix" in slang). There's also holovision, holomovies, and holonovels (source).
---
Elijah
OOC Admin - Level 4

Postby Elijah » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:36 am

Did you know...

...that the Articles of the Federation (aka the Constitution of the United Federation of Planets or the Charter of the United Federation of Planets) is the governing constitution of the United Federation of Planets, which spells out the civil rights and liberties of all Federation citizens. It was signed on August 12, 2161, a day that is celebrated annually as "Federation Day" (source).
---
Elijah
OOC Admin - Level 4

Postby Elijah » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:11 am

Did you know...

...that symbiogenesis is when two organisms merge together to create a hybrid. This process happens primarily with single celled-organisms, but has also been known to occur during transportation glitches in which two things beaming up or down are combined into one upon rematerialization (source).
---
Elijah
OOC Admin - Level 4

Postby Elijah » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:20 pm

Did you know...

...that type-2 phasers are the current Starfleet weapon of choice. They are hand-held phasers capable of being used as a cutting tool, explosive device, or energy source in addition to a weapon. The beam intensity, speed, and motion can be modified, allowing them to fire both beams and bolts. They have a rotating barrel to switch between stun and kill settings; however, these are only modifications of energy levels. Stun settings may kill weaker creatures, and kill settings may not kill stronger creatures. Type-3 phasers (aka phaser rifles) do exist, but are uncommon and issued only by special request (source).
---
Elijah
OOC Admin - Level 4

Postby Elijah » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:25 am

Did you know...

...that the Starfleet uniform code (the regulation governing the proper way to wear Starfleet uniforms) allows some personalization of the uniform. Although elaborate headbands and jewelry are not permitted, simple ones may be, particularly if it is traditionally part of the culture. Deviations from standard uniform wear must be approved through the commanding officer and may not be allowed depending on the circumstances (source).
---
Elijah
OOC Admin - Level 4

Postby Elijah » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:46 am

Did you know...

...that communicators are the homing transponder that transporter technicians use to lock onto your location. If you aren't carrying your communicator, it can be difficult to impossible for the technician to pinpoint your exact location in order to beam you aboard (source).
---
Elijah
OOC Admin - Level 4

Postby Elijah » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:32 pm

Did you know...

...that the Commander-in-Chief of the Federation Starfleet is currently Admiral Bull Buchinsky (source). The President of the United Federation of Planets is currently the Honorable Claton Mintaine (source).
---
Elijah
OOC Admin - Level 4

Postby Elijah » Thu May 30, 2013 3:59 pm

Did you know...

...that Federation money comes in the form of credits, spendable with a credit chip that can be inserted into computers or machines to pay (source).
---
Elijah
OOC Admin - Level 4

Postby Elijah » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:29 pm

Did you know...

...that Orions strike an unusual balance in the value they place on life. Orions value their mission and neutrality higher than their own lives, and will willingly commit suicide if it can benefit their cause. However, like everything else they do, Orions see this as a trade (life for cause). Orions do not kill indiscriminately and those who do are considered savages (source).
---
Elijah
OOC Admin - Level 4

Postby Elijah » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:10 pm

Did you know...

...that the Earth-Romulan War that took place between 2155–2160 was a result of an escalating series of covert and hostile operations undertaken by the Romulan Star Empire against members who would later become the United Federation of Planets. These conflicts came to a head on October 14, 2156, when Romulan forces attacked and destroyed the USS Patton, an event that signaled the beginning of the war. After staggering losses, Earth Alliance and the Romulan Star Empire negotiated a ceasefire and treaty, which was later re-enforced after the founding of the United Federation of Planets by the signing of the Federation/Rihannha Non-Aggression Pact. To this day, the treaty remains unbroken and there is limited to no contact between Earth and the Romulan Star Empire.

As the United Federation of Planets was founded on August 12th, 2161, it is argued that the actions necessitated by the founding members to combat the Empire led directly to the alliances that allowed the Federation to form (source).
---
Elijah
OOC Admin - Level 4

Postby Elijah » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:23 pm

Did you know...

...when transporters were first invented in the late 21st century, protests were organized around their use. Reasons for the protests included the metaphysical implications of whether or not the person who was reformed on the other transporter pad was, in fact, the original person, as they were effectively destroyed on one end and recreated on the other (source).
---
Elijah
OOC Admin - Level 4

Postby Elijah » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:18 pm

Did you know...

...there are twenty-six classifications of planets (A through Z), but Class M is the planet class most desirable to Federation explorers. A Class M (from the Vulcan term "Minshara class") planet, moon, or planetoid is a considered to be suitable for humanoid life. This designation is given when a planet is able to be colonized with relative ease (source).
---
Elijah
OOC Admin - Level 4

Postby Elijah » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:06 pm

Did you know...

...even after United Earth was established, many countries remained culturally separated, though of them no country more so than France. Even after the foundation of the Federation and the establishment of Paris as its capital, France did not abandon the French language or currency, and the French franc is still minted to this day and accepted as currency alongside the Federation credit (source).
---
Elijah
OOC Admin - Level 4

Postby Elijah » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:15 pm

Did you know...

...First Contact Day is an Earth holiday celebrated every April 5th, in honor of First Contact made between humans and Vulcans on April 5, 2063. Children get the day off from school, and adults typically use it as an excuse to hold parties (source).
---
Elijah
OOC Admin - Level 4

Postby Elijah » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:33 am

Did you know...

...Deltan pheromones are so potent that off-worlders are not permitted to visit Deltan IV. Deltans serving in Starfleet take both a vow of celibacy and chemical applications that reduce their level of pheromones in order to ensure the safety of other humanoids (source).
---
Elijah
OOC Admin - Level 4

Postby Elijah » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:06 pm

Did you know...

...because they can feel the thoughts and passions of the animal, most Betazoids don't ride horses (source).
---
Elijah
OOC Admin - Level 4

Postby Elijah » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:26 am

Did you know...

...Mars Foods, Incorporated makes a number of bulk fast food products, including Andorian chow, Caitian chow, Terran chow, and Vulcan chow.
---
Elijah
OOC Admin - Level 4

Return to Additional IC Information